Thursday, August 30, 2012

Where accepting can lead you...

In improv we move the scene along by accepting and adding information, better known as the "Yes, and" rule. To put it into practice, here's my version of how Tom and Katie's relationship would look in an improv scene, following the "Yes, and" rule.


TOM: "Hi, I'm very rich, very famous, and very much in need of an image make-over."

KATIE: "Yes, and I'm young, naive, and very much in need of an image make-over."

TOM: "Yes, and I've been meaning to talk to you about those J. Crew and Gap outfits you wear on the red carpet."

KATIE: "Yes, and I'd be happy to wear Armani PrivĂ© if you hand over your credit cards."

TOM: "Yes, and in return you'll have to give birth to L. Ron Hubbard's frozen sperm child, say it's mine, and turn down all movie roles that challenge and fulfill you as an actress."

KATIE: "Yes, and can I have my own fashion label?"

TOM: "Yes, and only if you tell every major magazine how wonderfully I treat you and feign interest in Conor and Bella's school sporting events within our first year of dating."

KATIE: "Yes, and I want you to tell the world what an amazing woman I am, while jumping on a large and inappropriate piece of furniture."

TOM: "Yes, and I know just the person who'll let me do it - Oprah! She loves me."

KATIE: "Yes, and make sure you offend a major talk show host too, like Matt Lauer, so everyone thinks you've gone totally nuts because of me."

TOM: "Yes! And lots of PDAs, so people know I'm not...well not that I'm not...I mean, so people think I'm, you know..."

KATIE: (giggling) "Yes, and I promise to always wear flat shoes  - unless I'm out with Posh Spice..."

TOM: "Yes! YES!!! And I'll give you a fairytale wedding in Italy, and we'll live happily ever after...with my mother!"

(pause)

KATIE: "Yes. (ahem) And... 5 years, max."

(Blackout.)

No comments:

Post a Comment